Sheridan has a population of about 700 residents, with many more people
living in rural areas. Located at the heart of the Ruby Valley,
we have a full service medical
center, nursing home, library, parks, and a public swimming
People first started settling here in the 1860's.
When the first post office was being established in 1866, the town
needed a name. General Sheridan (also known as "little
Phil") had gained prominence during the Civil War and a
suggestion of naming the town after him was well received. The town
of Sheridan was incorporated in 1893, with 350 residents and O.F.
Parmeter as the first mayor.
:: Pioneer Trails and Trials, Sheridan
:: General Sheridan's
famous horse, Rienzi
Elementary and Junior High (406) 842-5302
Construction on the new school was completed in 1999. Located on
the block next to the high school, with the football field in
between them, the new school is home to grades K-8, the cafeteria,
and a large new gymnasium. With approximately 145 students and one
class per grade, class sizes most often range within 10-20 students.
Sheridan also has art, music, and physical education programs. Band
instruction begins in 5th & 6th grade.
Junior high students, grades 7 & 8, have their home
rooms in the elementary building, though some of their classes are
in the high school buildings. Junior high band members are a part of
the high school pep band.
High School (406) 842-5401
Sheridan's high school was built in 1938. The building that is
now occupied by our music department was partially constructed with
bricks from the original 1890 school. There are approximately 100
high school students from grades 9 through 12.
The sports programs for junior high and high school students
includes girls basketball and volleyball, boys basketball and
football, and track.